Ergonomic joint angles in MVN 2019/2019.1
MVN 2019.1 beta release introduces the new joint angles: Vertical_pelvis and Vertical_T8 which complete the set of ergonomic joint angles of the previous 2019 version. The relative data can be found in separate sheets in both excel exporter and MVNX file.
Data can be found in a separate sheet within the excel file named “Ergonomic joint angles”, offered in both XZY and ZXY Euler sequence.
Data can be found in the XML source panel, in the subfolder “frame/ns1:jointAngleErgo” and ordered in the following sequence:
T8_Head (Lateral bending – axial bending – flex/ext)
T8_LeftUpperArm (Abd/adduction – int/ext rot – flex/ext)
T8_RightUpperArm (Abd/adduction – int/ext rot – flex/ext)
Pelvis_T8 (Lateral bending – axial bending – flex/ext)
Vertical_Pelvis (Lateral bending – axial bending – flex/ext)
Vertical_T8 (Lateral bending – axial bending – flex/ext)
Let’s examine in more detail each joint angle:
- T8-Head: Rotation of the head with respect to T8.
- T8-Left/RightUpperArm: Rotation of the left/right upper arm with respect to the sternum (T8). This representation can be used to display shoulder rotations in a more intuitive manner by taking into account the rotation of the arm with respect to the trunk instead of the scapula.
- Pelvis-T8: Rotation of the trunk (T8) with respect to the pelvis.
- Vertical-Pelvis: Rotation of the pelvis with respect to the vertical axis. By using the gravity vector as a vertical reference and pelvis heading as heading, both abduction/adduction and flexion/extension angles are provided. Note: since the pelvis tracker is not generally placed straight vertical on the skin, some degrees of offset with respect to optical systems are expected when standing in N pose.
- Vertical-T8: Rotation of the trunk with respect to the vertical axis. (Similar to vertical-pelvis)